Figuring Out ALE (Additional Living Expenses)

damaged houseAs a homeowner, it is important to know as much as you can about your insurance. One type of policy in your insurance is ALE (Additional Living Expense) coverage. This policy applies to any money you spend that exceeds your normal expenses after your property is damaged. Things that would be considered ALE are:

  • Temporary or Replacement Living Situations: If your home is damaged and in the midst of being repaired, you typically have to evacuate your home till it’s over. This means you will need to find an alternate place to live such as a hotel, rental home, etc. With ALE coverage, you can be reimbursed for the costs of your hotel, rental home, etc.
  • Food: When waiting for repairs, your kitchen may be damaged to the point where it needs to be fixed or it is deemed unfit for cooking in. As a result, you will probably eat at restaurants or find already prepared food to feed yourself and your family. With ALE, you can get money back for any costs you spent on food during the repair period.

It is important to note that ALE coverage applies to expenses that are of equal value of your living expenses before your property damage. For example, if you need a rental home, it will need to be the same size of your current one. If you own a four bedroom house, your rental home will need to be a four room home as well.

If you need more help on figuring out your ALE coverage, let Valley Adjusters top capital claims public adjusters assist you. Call us at (800)658-8814, today.